Monday, August 17, 2015

Welcome to Vienna


This morning I was greeted with a gorgeous view of the Vienna skyline and an endless parade of swans floating past my window.  I opened my balcony door to let in the morning breeze and listen to the water lapping against the side of our ship while I got ready for the day.




Our first stop of the day was at the hedge labyrinth in the gardens at Shonbrunn Palace.  We had a great time getting lost and trying to find out way out. The kids were awarded a prize by one of our tour directors when they reached the end!











The palace gardens are absolutely breath taking.  I took much more detailed pictures of it last year, click HERE to get a peek at those pics.




After a short visit through the palace, we only visited a couple of rooms so the littles didn't get too restless, but I would have liked to have seen more of that gorgeous place, we had a special surprise.  We got to see a private marionette showing of the Magic Flute.  The set and costumes were amazing!  I wish we were allowed to take pictures during the performance, but to make up for any inconvenience we got a backstage tour after the play!










When it was time to say goodbye to the grounds of Shonbrunn, Dad and I were excited to take the Burtons to the Mozart Cafe for lunch!  Review our experience there last year HERE.  We had a very traditional Austrian lunch of bratwurst, weiner schnitzel, with sachertorte and apple strudel for dessert. 









After lunch, we strolled through the town and did some souvenir shopping.  I bought this cute little gift for myself, we are headed to that cute, old fashioned farris wheel tomorrow night.  But tonight, we have our fancy dinner at a beautiful palace.  Pictures from that memorable experience are up next!









1 comment:

  1. How did I miss the Mozart Cafe AGAIN! No nap is worth missing that golden wienersnitzl! I loved the maze, I have always wanted to try one out, they are mentioned so often in my Regency Novels! And it was fun to see the Marionette show, and how they worked the puppets. What a fun day.

    ReplyDelete